Monday 17 June 2013

7X7X7X7





Grab the 7th book from your bookshelf.
Open it up to page 7.
Pinpoint the 7th sentence on the page.
Begin a poem/a piece of prose that begins with that sentence
Limit it in length to 7 lines/7 sentences.


The 7th book on my shelf is...Nectar in a sieve by Kamala Markandaya



"My heart sang and my feet were light" when I remembered you were coming after 10 long years, coming to me, to my arms where you belong. 

Your room is sparkling and bare and I am at the door gazing at the clock , wiping my tears waiting for you.

I look at you from a distance, my heart jumps at your voice, my hands quiver to take you in my arms.

Your face has a few wrinkled lines, some grey strands and a chin under the chin singing of your blessings galore 

I stand there and wonder if you will recognise my touch, if you will still fit in my lap, If I could once, just once carry you in my arms again 

You hug me tight, sweep me off my feet, and carry me in your arms, spinning the world around me, making me believe everything is still the same. 

Arms and laps, hugs and holds, laps and spins, all are same but the baton is passed on to the younger set of hands.




This is in response to the WriteTribe prompt.

16 comments:

  1. Nothing like watching kids grow. I hope I got the essence right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Saru, you did. I keep thinking of my life without them, this stemmed from one of those thoughts :D

      Delete
    2. I know and it was a beautiful read.

      Delete
  2. the poetic element in the prose makes it ever so better :-)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've captured the essence of the situation very well... Really poetic...I agree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly. M glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  4. It must be wonderful when children take the lead and pamper the parents. Role reversal. Wishing you many more of such days :)

    You write awesomely well... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bhavya. My kids are really young right now but I keep wondering how it will be in future..this was just an element of my imagination :))

      Delete
  5. A poetic touch adds beauty to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know what happened to my comment so here it is again ..
    This was beautiful. It reminded me of my late father and brought a few tears to my eyes. Truly touched my soul.
    Dropping by from the 7x7x7x7 link up
    Suzy http://suzysomedaysomewhere.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/write-tribe-7x7x7x7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suzy...I am really touched it could bring out such emotions....God bless you dear!!

      Delete

Leave Your Mark