Sunday 1 September 2013

7 Things My Kids Taught Me

First day of a new chapter in my blogging journey, a 7 day festival dedicated to writing. During these 7 days I will be sharing my learnings from 7 different roles that I play/have played in my life.
What better way to start than with my children? Being a parent has been a wonderful and blissful journey. It is one of the most difficult yet most easy roles I have ever played. I am learning each day as a parent. There are some things that circumstances have taught me, some things other parents have taught me but my biggest teachers have been my two little cuddle puddle, my kids.

1) Be a kid: One of the biggest lessons my children have taught me is to be a kid. Have fun, enjoy, live each moment, fight and makeup..Be a kid

2) Unconditional love: No amount of punishment, no threats, no mean looks could deter away the lovely kisses and hugs of my kids. It doesn’t matter if I am upset or they are upset. It doesn’t matter whether I did [read bought] what he asked for, at the end of the day, the day is never over without a big sloppy kiss and a big bear family hug.

3) Patience: Being a parent takes a lot from you. Specially traits like personal space and patience. I do lose patience quite a lot but I am also surprised how much I can ignore stained walls, toppled milk glasses, dirty clothes and illogical antics. I never thought I was made for this but here I am smiling and cleaning away to glory.

4) Be kind: My elder one is one of the kindest souls I have ever met. He has taught me this virtue. He doesn’t differentiate; he is kind towards me and towards the household help also. He loves hugging. He hugs everyone he meets, even our building’s sweeper [Not kidding]. Since sweeper knows this, he cleans himself and waits for my son when he goes to school. That one hug brightens his face like a big huge diwali lantern.

5) Smile more: Absence of smile in our house is always taken as a frown. It doesn’t matter if you were absently looking at the wall and thinking but if you don’t smile, it is assumed that you are upset. So we all smile...a lot. And it does brings in a lot of positive energy in our house. We are a loud loud house with lots of giggles and laughs.

6) Let go: I have learnt to forgive, forget and let go. This is a very simple virtue but something very common in all the children. It has simplified my life. I have learnt letting go is one of hardest things to do but once you learn to do it; it gives you wings.

7) Cooking: Last but not the least I have taken up cooking big time now because my elder son is a big foodie and I do not want him to eat out a lot. Hence I am learning almost everything under the sun for him and enjoying it also.

These were a few things that my kids have taught me. I will be glad if you can share with me the things your children have taught you [If you are a parent] and if you are not a parent, then things that you think you have learnt from kids around you.






17 comments:

  1. We do get to learn a lot from children. I learnt to read novels page by page whenever I could find time, rather than at one go which was how I used to do it before they were born :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shail that is so true. I also learnt that :)

      Delete
  2. Yet to have children but learning from everything and everyone nevertheless. Your eldest is sweet. You could've added some pics.

    Looking forward to the rest of the Sevens.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan thanks and a great suggestion. I would add the snaps to the post soon :)

      Delete
  3. I like all these lessons :) I have two very cute darlings next door who remind me to smile and be a kid too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leo how sweet. I am sure you have a great time with them :)

      Delete
  4. Very sweet list!! And, one that I completely agree with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how much knowledge we get from our kids!! The learning is a two way street and at a time in our life when everything could become so serious...children keep things light and the laughter alive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy so true..learning is a two way street. Wonderful words :)

      Delete
  6. Having kids taught me that objects are replaceable and not to cry over a broken "thing".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes,kids teach us a lot of stuff. I took on cooking in a big way because husband is a foodie. Looks like the kids have taken after their father :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is so much for us to learn from the people around us :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being patient is obviously one of the topmost things she seems to have taught me. I used to be one very moody person, I still am, but with her around my tantrums have reduced considerably.

    Also forgiveness is what I have learnt from her. She just falls, brushes her skirt and moves on. Cool...ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me all warm and mushy in the heart. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly said. Every day is a day of learning with kids around. Just yesterday my son was walking around giving hugs to all the kids he saw, even those kids who were always pushing him or pulling things from him :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Mark