With monsoons comes a lot of giggles, laughters, naughtiness, wet kids, wet noses ,sneezing and coughing. I normally do not rely on medicines for simple cough and cold however I do use an age old remedy passed on in my family through generations. I am sharing the details of it below:
4-5 black peppercorns (Crushed)
1 bay leaf/Tej patta
1 inch ginger (grated/crushed)
1 inch fresh turmeric OR ½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp saunf/fennel
1 Ajwain/carom leaf (crushed) OR 1 tsp ajwain seeds
3-4 Tulsi leaves (crushed)
Honey- 1tsp OR sugar 1 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Method- Crush together all the ingredients that are supposed to be crushed. Add all the ingredients in the water (except honey/sugar) and bring it to boil. Reduce the temperature and let it boil till it remains approx. 1/4th cup. Turn off the gas, add honey or sugar. Stir to mix.
Things to be considered before having it-
- 1/4th cup makes for two portions.
- This can be prepared and kept for a day. Warm it before having it.
- This can be taken in continuation for days.
- It is advisable to have it warm, similar to the temperature of tea/warm milk.
- Do not have it in empty stomuch. After a meal is advisable.
- Should not be taken immediately after eating anything too cold, like icecream, cold water etc
Do note that I am not a medical professional and in no way I recommend replacing any medicine with this remedy. Also please check for any allergies/reactions before using any of the spices mentioned above.